- Post-doctoral positions in theoretical many-body physics with quantum optical systems
- Post-doctoral position in quantum optics of atomic arrays
- Post-doctoral position in advanced theoretical methods for free-electron interaction with nanophotonic structures
- Post-doctoral position in design and testing of thz detectors
- Post-doctoral position in quantum emitters and quantum technologies with two-dimensional materials
- Post-doctoral position in Net-zero: Modelling of emerging electrolysis systems
- Post-doctoral position on thermal sensors and microbolometers
- Post-doctoral position in Horizon Europe project fastMOT - Fast gated superconducting nanowire camera for multi-functional optical tomography
- Post-doctoral position in neuromonitoring of premature born infants within the Horizon Europe project Prometeus
- Post-doctoral position in personalized cancer therapy in preclinical models guided by diffuse optics
- Post-doctoral position in dark matter search with ultracold atoms
- Post-doctoral position in development of low-cost CMOS compatible intersubband optoelectronics (photodetectors and light emitters) in the MWIR and LWIR leveraging colloidal quantum dot technology
- Post-doctoral positions in quantum light emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral position in low-noise electron transport in twisted bilayer graphene systems
- Post-doctoral positions in functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) and diffuse optical tomography
TWO Calls are currently open for PhD-positions at ICFO with different mobility requirements.
Candidates who fulfil the MSCA mobility requirements (i.e. NOT have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months during the 3 years prior to the call deadline), are encouraged to apply to the FLIGHT Fellowship program. Candidates applying to this call will be also considered for the fellowships they will be eligible for in the ICFO PhD Program.
Candidates who don’t fulfil the MSCA mobility requirements are encouraged to apply to the ICFO PhD Program (spring 2023)
Candidates with funding already secured via external fellowships are also welcomed to the ICFO PhD Program. Those candidates shall directly contact the ICFO research groups of their area of interest.
For further information, please contact us at email@example.comLINKS TO THE CORRESPONDING CALLS:
Under- and Postgraduate Students
Admin & Technical Engineers
Anunci de convocatòria de llocs estructurals resultants de la taxa de reposició addicional i de convocatòria de concurs de mèrits per la provisió de llocs de treball de personal laboral fix a l’ICFO.
Research Engineer position on advanced imaging techniques performances
ICFO is a research center located in the Mediterranean Technology Park in the metropolitan area of Barcelona, and currently hosts 400+ people, including researchers, PhD students and staff personnel. Today, in its area of specialization and category, the institute is consistently ranked among the highest-quality research institutions worldwide.
We are currently looking for a Research Engineer who will join the SLN team reporting to the Head of Unit. The position is offered with a duration of two years.
The researcher will participate in the tasks associated to the characterisation, callibration, and standardization of advanced imaging microscopes. The objective will be to create, establish and apply any required protocol to evaluate the performance and image quality produced by the advanced microscopes.
The researcher will also work in collaboration with the SLN personnel to continue
developing and enhancing the different imaging techniques (STED, STORM, LSFM, RAMAN, confocal, multiphoton, FLIM, etc.). This includes working on optical design, control software, (Labview, Python, Arduino, etc.) and any related control electronics or mechanical integration.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
The position will be funded by the European Union-NextGeneration EU, through the “Programa Investigo”. As per indicated in the mentioned program, the candidates shall be between 16 and 29 years old, be officially unemployed at the time of recruitment and not contractually linked to ICFO within the previous 6 months.
In addition to the general requirements indicated in the “Programa Investigo”, the appointee must have:
• PhD degree in optical sciences, physics or biomedical sciences.
• Experience in using, adapting or building imaging systems for biomedical application.
• The opportunity to become a member of a dynamic and internationally recognized research institution.
• Full-time two-year position.
• Salary according to the institutional salary scales, to profile indicated in the call and background and experience of the candidate.
• ICFO is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions of persons with disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
• ICFO is committed to promoting and ensuring a working environment where individuals are treated with respect, equality and courtesy. In keeping with this goal, ICFO will not tolerate any type of conduct or behavior considered harassment or bullying. A Gender Equality Plan is in place at ICFO ensuring implementation of good practices and continuous enhancement in gender equality and work-life balance. More details: https://www.icfo.eu/about-icfo/
The formal application should be submitted online via http://jobs.icfo.eu.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
• Presentation letter with a declaration of interest.
• Curriculum Vitae, including contact details.
Candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the selection process and may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for formal inquiries regarding the application.
The call will remain open until suitable candidates are identified.
For updated information about ICFO, please visit http://www.icfo.eu
15th of December, 2022
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com or directly contact with the relevant ICFO Group Leaders or Unit Heads to explore potential future possibilities in their fields.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button ‘Apply to this opening’ takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as, in some of the openings, to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (See Data Protection Policy.)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by the corresponding Selection Committee according to the selection criteria of each opening. ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process. Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
When requested, reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Unless the call applied for indicate specific requirements in that sense, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
On-site or online interviews (aiming at discussing the candidate’s suitability, project contents, hiring conditions and legal matters, etc.) with the Selection committee may be scheduled.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The Selection Committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the Selection Committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit will assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrollment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the Selection Committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
As indicated through the application process, other relevant information is also gathered for statistical purposes or in order to verify the eligibility requirements indicated in the corresponding call.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise, but please indicate this clearly in your presentation letter. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies (stated in your transcripts), the minimum grade required to pass in your university and the maximum grade that can be achieved or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.