- Post-doctoral researcher in quantum nonlinear optics with cold atomic ensembles
- Post-doctoral research position in Atomic Quantum Optics
- Post-doctoral positions in Experimental Quantum Optics with Cold and Ultra-cold Atoms
- Post-doctoral position in biomedical optics for development of miniature systems
- Post-doctoral position in Topological Nano-photonics
- Post-doctoral position in Systems Neuroscience and Optogenetics
- Post-doctoral/ Research Engineer position in Diffuse optics for cancer therapy
- Post-doctoral positions in Functional Optoelectronic Nanomaterials
- Post-doctoral position on new generation of Mid and Long Wave infrared photodetectors and Bolometers
- Post-doctoral position in emergent phenomena in novel 2D materials
- Post-doctoral position in ultra-fast phenomena in novel correlated 2D heterostructures
- Postdoctoral Position in Eye-retinas imaging at the SLN lab
- Post-doctoral position in the field of Light sheet fluorescence microscopy (LSFM) at the SLN lab
- Post-doctoral position for wearable diffuse optical health monitoring with novel detectors
- Post-doctoral position for novel, new diffuse optical instrumentation
- Post-doctoral position in near-infrared diffuse optical neuromonitoring in the clinics
- Post-doctoral position in ultrafast laser science and nonlinear optics
- Research engineer position in embedded electronic systems for imaging
- Research engineer position in biomedical optical devices
- Research Engineer (Chemist) on Colloidal Quantum Dot Nanoparticles
- Research engineer position in high-speed electronics for quantum devices
- Research engineer position in graphene-based applications for photodetectors and data communications
- Research engineer of digital electronics for biomedical optics
- Research Engineer position/ Software developer for optical clinical monitors
- Research engineer position for opto-electronic design
Please note that specific PhD-projects/ Group Openings are being selected within the scope of our General Call (please, see below, deadline February 25, 2018). For specific calls, please see the corresponding group pages available at https://icfo.eu/research, and apply to our General Call with a specific reference to the identified project.
Under- and Postgraduate Students
Admin & Technical Engineers
Up to 15 PhD-fellowship positions available within the ICFO International PhD Program (Spring 2018)
ICFO is offering up to 15 PhD-fellowship positions to well-qualified graduate students, who wish to obtain a doctoral degree in any of the research fields covered at ICFO.
Our PhD-program brings together top-level training and teaching for young scientists, benefitting from the extensive course offerings of local universities and focused instruction by ICFO professors, in a stimulating, international and interdisciplinary environment. PhD-students have the opportunity to take advantage of our network of excellence, consisting in partners of national and international research institutes and universities, as well as industrial partners in the field.
Our International PhD Fellowship Program welcomes applications from individuals with a degree in a field of science and engineering related to the ICFO research activities.
Fellowships will be offered across all ICFO research groups in the following research topics:
- Biophysics & Biomedical Optics
- Optical Sensing, Optoelectronics & Photovoltaics
- Nonlinear Optics, Ultrafast Optics & Atto-Physics
- Nanophotonics, Optomechanics & Nanomechanics
- Experimental Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
- Theoretical Nanophotonics, Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
You will find more details about ICFO Research Groups and Group Leaders at https://icfo.eu/research. If you are interested in discussing possible research topics, please contact ICFO Group Leaders directly.
The positions are offered in the scope of several fellowship programs currently active within the ICFO International PhD Program:
- The ICFOstepstone Program, a Marie Sklowdowska-Curie-COFUND action under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (GA 713729), awarding INCOMING Fellowships to outstanding graduate students.
- The Severo Ochoa PhD-fellowships funded by the Spanish Ministry of Innovation, Economy and Competitiveness.
- The FI-DGR PhD-Fellowships funded by the Generalitat of Catalonia.
In addition, internal ICFO PhD group positions might become available, for which we may retain candidates applying to this present call.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
To be eligible for an ICFO PhD-position, candidates must:
- Have an internationally-recognized Master-equivalent degree. The degree must be in a field of science and engineering related to the ICFO research activities. Degrees issued within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) must have an equivalent to 300 ECTS, out of which a minimum of 60 ECTS must have been obtained in postgraduate studies. Please, if in doubt regarding your academic eligibility, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have an excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Have a high working knowledge of English.
Additionally, candidates for the ICFOstepstone positions must comply with the following EU-rules by the time of activation of the COFUND-PhD:
- Candidates should not have resided in Spain for more than 12 of the last 36 months.
- The Master-equivalent degree should not be older than 4 years. Exceptions are made for documented periods of parental leave. Other equivalent exceptions may be considered when properly documented and motivated by the applicant, e.g, in case of applicants from underdeveloped countries, minorities, or for applicants that pursued their studies under comparatively unfavourable conditions.
No restrictions of citizenship apply to the ICFO positions. Female graduates are strongly encourages to apply. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The conditions of the positions awarded in the scope of the ICFO International PhD Program are as follows:
- Initial ICFO contract for a period of 6 months, while being pre-admitted to the PhD Program, with an explicit follow-up/ renewal procedure at the end of this first stage. During this period, students already take part in the ICFO working environment, join a research group, and work with their supervisor to define a research project.
- After this initial period, students are formally enrolled in the PhD Program, and the full PhD Fellowship is activated. Fellowships are offered for periods of three years, renewable for an additional fourth year, and are formalized via a PhD-contract. Continuity and renewal are subject to satisfactory performance in the PhD studies and related research activities, evaluated annually by the Thesis Director and the ICFO PhD Committee.
- Selected candidates shall start between September and October 2018.
- All ICFO fellowships include medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Social Security system, providing access to the Spanish public health care system.
- Salary conditions vary according to the fellowship scheme finally awarded: ICFOstepstone Fellows receive the salary stipulated by the COFUND program of the European Commission, while Fellows of the other schemes receive the salary according to the Spanish National PhD-fellowship programs.
To apply, suitable candidates are requested to submit (in English) online the following material:
- A Cover Letter with declaration of research interests (ICFO research group, ICFO research topic),
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
- Scanned copies of the complete (Bachelor and Master equivalent) official academic transcripts in English or Spanish,
- Scanned copies of the degree certificates, if available at the time of application,
- IMPORTANT: The candidate should contact two referees, who should send their reference letters directly to email@example.com before the application deadline. Upon application, the candidate should have indicated these two referees in the online application form, too.
- The print-out (screen print) of the GPA-equivalence calculation accomplished via http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/,
- If available, scanned copy of standardized test results (GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Note that submission of test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
All required application material, including letters of reference, must be complete and submitted by deadline in order for the application to be considered.
The deadline for submission of applications for the present call is February 25, 2018.
In a first step of the selection procedure, applications will be assessed by the selection committee based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements. Academic excellence is a must. Pro-activity, participation in community activities, and capacity for team-work are also taken into account. Applicants will be notified the results of the first evaluation stage by March 11, 2018.
Please note that candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the entire selection process.
In the second step of the selection procedure, shortlisted candidates will receive invitations to visit ICFO for oral interviews with the selection committee and ICFO GLs, planned to take place on April 12-13, 2018.
The final list with candidates recommended for fellowship concession, as well as reserve candidates, will be available by April 18-20, 2018. Being the last condition that shortlisted candidates find a hosting group at ICFO, candidates are then asked to contact the Group Leader(s) of choice to negotiate directly a potential PhD in their group, on a fellowship. Candidates and Group Leader should confirm within one week whether an agreement has been reached. Candidates without a match cannot be confirmed the fellowship.
At all stages of the process, candidates may contact ICFO Human Resources and Education via firstname.lastname@example.org; for complete information about the PhD Admissions process at ICFO, please see http://phd.icfo.eu.
25th of February, 2018
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button 'Apply to this opening' takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (see Data Protection Policy)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by a scientific and expert selection committee, focussing on the previous experience and background of the applicant. Selection is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process, establishing a direct contact with the considering Group Leader(s). Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
Reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Depending on the call, reference letters must either be submitted directly to ICFO by the referees upon request by the candidate, or submitted upon request by ICFO's recruiting staff. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
Candidates may be contacted by phone during the selection process. Likewise, on-site interviews may be scheduled.
ICFO will abide by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The selection committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the selection committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrolment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the selection committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing an application number and a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have already submitted an application online, please do not forget to indicate your application number(s), as well as the name of the opening.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, either the ICFO recruiting staff will contact your referees for their assessment, or you will be instructed to ask your referees to submit their reference letters electronically via the online application form or e-mail (email@example.com). Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies, or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.