- Post-doctoral position in design and testing of thz detectors
- Post-doctoral position in machine-learning for biophotonics and neurocritical care
- Post-doctoral positions in functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) and diffuse optical tomography
- Post-doctoral position in operando electrochemistry
- Post-doctoral position in materials designer
- Post-doctoral position in CO2 electrolysis
- Post-doctoral position in the theory of quantum cryptography
- Post-doctoral position in the theory of quantum simulation
- Post-doctoral position on thermal sensors and microbolometers
- Post-doctoral position development, study and application of novel optical parametric sources
- Post-doctoral position in neuromonitoring of premature born infants within the Horizon Europe project Prometeus
- Post-doctoral position in personalized cancer therapy in preclinical models guided by diffuse optics
- Post-doctoral and Research Engineer positions in quantum technologies
- Post-doctoral position in dark matter search with ultracold atoms
- Post-doctoral position in development of low-cost CMOS compatible intersubband optoelectronics (photodetectors and light emitters) in the MWIR and LWIR leveraging colloidal quantum dot technology
- Post-doctoral positions in quantum light emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral positions in theoretical many-body physics with quantum optical systems
- Post-doctoral position in Solid-state quantum memories for Quantum Repeaters
- Post-doctoral position in Attosecond technology and soft x-ray spectroscopy
- Post-doctoral position in atomic vapor quantum sensors
A rolling call of the ICFO PhD Program, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at email@example.com
Under- and Postgraduate Students
- Student Research Fellowships - Spring 2023: all applicants will be notified the decision in their case by the end of May 2023, at the latest.
- ICFO-UNAM International School on the Frontiers of Light: Photons in the Nanoworld (18-22 September 2023). Full details of the school program and application form.
Admin & Technical Engineers
Anunci de convocatòria de llocs estructurals resultants de la taxa de reposició addicional i de convocatòria de concurs de mèrits per la provisió de llocs de treball de personal laboral fix a l’ICFO.
- Anunci concurs de mèrits
- Anunci taxa reposició addicional
- Anunci concurs oposició
Tech Transfer & Business Development
Neurologist for project collaboration in Medical Optics (ICFO & Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona)
ICFO, in a joint project with Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau (HSCSP), invites applications for a neurologist interested in ischemic stroke and transcranial Doppler ultrasound (TCD). The joint project is part of our research program in developing novel new neuro-monitoring tools for theranostic management of ischemic stroke and other neurological diseases.
Training opportunities in medical optics, TCD, medical device development including a Ph.D. project are integral part of the collaboration.
The neurologist will be responsible for:
- Recruiting and supervising patients for protocols involving the use of optical neuro-monitors in patients.
- Collecting, anonymizing and organizing subject medical records.
- Performing TCD and optical measurements.
- Developing and drafting new protocols.
- Participating in data-analysis, presentations in congresses (if desired) and write-up in peer-reviewed journals (if desired).
The candidate will act as an expert to provide the link between the ICFO Medical Optics group and the clinical group on Cerebrovascular Diseases at HSCSP.
The candidate will be responsible for research activities, will be in charge of follow-up reports that may be required, in collaboration and agreement with the group leader, and may apply for grants.
The neurologist will report to Prof Turgut Durduran (Group Leader, ICREA Professor at ICFO, Medical Optics) and Dr Joan Marti Fabregas (Group Leader, Cerebrovascular Diseases, HSCSP).
About the participating research groups:
The ICFO Medical Optics group was founded by Prof Turgut Durduran (ICREA @ ICFO) in 2009 to develop novel, new technologies based on diffuse optics for non-invasive monitoring of hemodynamics in tissues. Of particular interest to the group is the monitoring of cerebral blood flow (CBF) and oxygen metabolism (CMRO2). The group collaborates with about a dozen hospitals in Barcelona metropolitan area, around Europe and in USA. The group leads and participates in several multi-national European projects (LUCA, BabyLux, OILTEBIA, BitMap), as well as MINECO, ISCIII, National Institutes of Health (NIH) projects. It prides itself in end-user driven technology development and demonstration in pre-clinical and clinical research. Technology transfer is also a priority area with a successful spin-off company (HemoPhotonics SL) and several newer endeavours being incubated.
It has been collaborating with HSCSP since 2009 on several projects funded by ISCIII, MINECO, Fundacio Cellex Barcelona, Obra Social La Caixa and the European Commission. Two groups have demonstrated the benefits of these technologies in assessing risk in high-risk populations (carotid stenosis, sleep apnea), in real-time monitoring of the effects of thrombolysis in acute stroke, in predictive analysis of cerebrovascular reactivity in acute ischemic stroke and in other areas. Currently, different on-going projects are recruiting and plans are being made for future multi-center clinical trials.
For further information about the group and ICFO, please see http://www.icfo.eu.
The HSCSP - Cerebrovascular Diseases Group focuses on different aspects related to ischemic stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases. Of particular interest are the monitoring of the effects of therapies such as thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke, the development of new management strategies based on personalized information from novel new neuro-monitors and the assessment of risks in high-risk populations. The group collaborates on numerous local and international projects. HSCSP encourages interdisciplinary collaboration in medicine as well as in technology development and provides opportunities and resources to enhance these interactions.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
Candidates must hold a MD degree in Neurology. Secondary degrees in medical research (biostatistics, etc.) are optional and are considered positive.
Additionally, the suitable candidate should possess:
- Demonstrated experience in TCD and/or a strong desire for training.
- Demonstrated experience in clinical procedures, good clinical practices and regulations.
- Excellent verbal skills in Spanish, Catalan (optional) and good English verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrated interest in research project design, analysis and writing.
On the level of personal skills, the candidate should possess:
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to interact with academic researchers with non-medical expertise (physics, engineering) and cooperation in inter-disciplinary environments.
- Demonstrated interest in participating in research project design, analysis and writing.
- Interest in joining a non-profit, interdisciplinary, translational research project.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to the ICFO contracts.
The position is offered on a full-time basis, on a standard employment contract, initially for a period of one year. The level of appointment and starting salary will be in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit online, and additionally send an electronic copy of the application material to Prof. Turgut Durduran (firstname.lastname@example.org, mailing label: NEUROLOGIST @ ICFO)
Application material to be submitted:
- Cover letter describing research interests and relevant background.
- The names and contact information of three individuals who could provide reference letters.
Candidates may contact email@example.com for informal inquiries regarding the application, as well as address scientific inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The call will remain open until a suitable candidate had been identified.
28th of February, 2017
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com or directly contact with the relevant ICFO Group Leaders or Unit Heads to explore potential future possibilities in their fields.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button ‘Apply to this opening’ takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as, in some of the openings, to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (See Data Protection Policy.)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by the corresponding Selection Committee according to the selection criteria of each opening. ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process. Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
When requested, reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Unless the call applied for indicate specific requirements in that sense, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
On-site or online interviews (aiming at discussing the candidate’s suitability, project contents, hiring conditions and legal matters, etc.) with the Selection committee may be scheduled.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The Selection Committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the Selection Committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit will assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrollment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the Selection Committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
As indicated through the application process, other relevant information is also gathered for statistical purposes or in order to verify the eligibility requirements indicated in the corresponding call.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise, but please indicate this clearly in your presentation letter. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies (stated in your transcripts), the minimum grade required to pass in your university and the maximum grade that can be achieved or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.